Congolese music star, Papa Wemba, has reportedly passed away at the age of 66-years old during a performance at a concert in Ivory Coast.
Here are some quick facts about the singer that will intrigue many of his fans.
1. The Congolese music star was born Jules Shungu Webadio.
2. Papa Wemba as he’s widely known reportedly inspired a cult movement known as the Sapeurs whose members are young men that spend huge amounts of money on designer clothes.
3. In 2004, he was convicted in France of a role in an illegal immigration racket and spent three months in prison.
4. He was once jailed in Zaire (now the Democratic Republic of Congo), for allegedly having an affair with a general’s daughter.
5. Together with his bands Zaiko Langa Langa, Isifi and Viva La Musica, he racked up hit after hit including L’Esclave and Le Voyageur.
6. His conviction in France related to a racket whereby illegal immigrants were taken to Europe posing as members of his band.
7. In 2013, he was rumoured dead after which he took to Twitter to dispel the rumour.
Published:April 24th, 2016